Co-opted Director - Finance and Regeneration
Coast to Capital Co-opted Director Recruitment
Coast to Capital is the Local Enterprise Partnership for one of the most diverse and exciting areas of England. Business is thriving across our area, covering the M23 corridor from Brighton to Croydon including Coastal West Sussex, the Gatwick Diamond and the wider rural area. Our economy is broad based and resilient, a net contributor to the Exchequer, with historically low levels of unemployment and a wide range of successful businesses.
In the six years since we were created, Coast to Capital has made significant progress in attracting investment and support to help our economy grow; including:
- Attracting more than GBP300m of public investment to upgrade our regional infrastructure, and to invest in the growth of business in the region
- Developing and delivering services to businesses in the region, focusing on SME and scale-up growth, exports and helping the education sector align with business needs
- Demonstrating leadership on strategic issues facing our regional economy, including around transport infrastructure, the development of skills to serve our future economy, and the economic importance of housing in the region.
Chaired by Tim Wates, the Coast to Capital Board brings together regional business leaders alongside senior politicians and leaders from Universities and Further Education. We form a unique partnership which makes us a powerful voice of challenge and advocacy for our region.
We are now looking to bring further business sector skills onto the Board in order to help lead the region through the challenges of the years ahead, including preparing for the outcomes of exiting the European Union and helping to maintain and enhance our competitive advantage within the national economy. One aspect of this will be to establish the LEP as the Government's partner of choice in developing an Industrial Strategy for our region.
To do this, we are looking to appoint two new Co-opted Directors, in order to bring specific skills and expertise into the organisation to address challenges in our operating environment over the coming years:
- Finance lead. You will have a senior background in the financial sector, and will be able to help lead our work in attracting additional private investment into the region. This will include exploring ways of increasing private investment in regional infrastructure, including transport infrastructure schemes and the delivery of housing.
- Regeneration lead. You will have a professional background in the regeneration or housing sectors, with significant experience of using development to support economic growth. You will be very experienced at building links between public and private sectors in supporting the delivery of local plans, and with an excellent understanding of development models that will be suitable for this region. You will support and challenge the executive team, and will help to oversee the delivery of our business plan objectives as we build our engagement in this important area.
- Established in your field, with significant experience in senior roles
- Excellent communication, influencing and problem solving skills
- Strong reputation and wider professional network
- Experience of working well with non-executive Directors or of performing a non-executive role
- Ability to engage with a wide range of stakeholders from local government, education and business sectors
- Proven track record in demonstrating leadership to deliver business strategy
- Ability to work closely with the Chief Executive and his senior team to support the work of Coast to Capital
- Understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing the economy in our region, and a commitment to creating an environment where business can flourish
- Familiarity with the wider issues affecting our region and a desire to make a difference to the area
- Able to offer the time and commitment necessary to make a success of these roles
- Live and/or work in the Region; or have or have had experience of participating in a business or businesses based in the Region
Terms and conditions
The term of appointment will be for two years, with an option to renew for a further two years if necessary. You will be required to attend five Board meetings a year, with an expectation that you will offer 2 days a month to this role.
As an organisation which allocates public money on behalf of Government, Coast to Capital holds itself to the highest standards of public accountability and transparency. We set out how we do this in our Assurance Framework, which sets out the high quality governance arrangements that we have in place in order to ensure that our partners have confidence in the decisions that we make. All Co-opted Directors are subject to the provisions of this assurance framework, and are given support and training as required by the Executive team to support them in doing this.
The post is not remunerated, although reasonable travel and expenses will be paid.
For a further discussion about these roles and the challenges of the specific posts, please contact Tim Wates (Chairman) or Jonathan Sharrock (Chief Executive) either by telephone on or by email at
To make an application please send, by August 18th 2017, a full CV with a covering statement setting out how you believe you could fulfil the requirements of the key role to Katie Nurcombe, Head of Communications & Corporate Affairs at
We will acknowledge your application within 24 hours. If you have not received confirmation please contact Sue Maddin on to ensure we have received your application.
Further information about Coast to Capital may be found at our website:
Coast to Capital is committed to achieving diversity and equality of opportunity both as an employer and as a commissioner of services.