Deputy Head Teacher(Teaching and Learning)
4 days left
- Full Time
KEY DUTIES AND RESAPONISIBILITIES
To carry out the duties of a Deputy Head Teacher, as set out in the STPCD including the conditions of employment for Deputy Head Teachers and the schools own policies. To undertake any other reasonable duties that the Head Teacher may request commensurate with the post. The duties listed below are not therefore, an exhaustive list of what is required.
- Take full responsibility alongside the Deputy Head Teacher for Inclusion, for the school in the absence of the Head Teacher
- Carry out the professional duties of a teacher as and when required with the expectation that teaching is outstanding
- Take responsibility for child protection issues as appropriate and as directed by the Deputy Head Teacher for Inclusion in consultation with the Head Teacher
- Take responsibility for promoting and safeguarding the welfare of children and young people within the school alongside the Deputy Head Teacher for Inclusion
- Manage with the Deputy Head Teacher for Inclusion, the work of Class Teachers, this to include their performance management in accordance with the school’s policies and procedures.
- Share leadership of the school as a member of the senior leadership team (SLT)
- Ensure the quality of teaching, learning, assessment and pupil progress across the school
- Have strategic leadership for developing an engaging creative curriculum
In partnership with the Head Teacher:
Shaping the future
- In partnership with the Head Teacher, SLT and governors establish and implement an ambitious vision and ethos for the future of the school.
- Contribute to the identification of key areas of strengths and weaknesses in school and the self-evaluation of the school.
- Play a leading role in the school improvement and school self-evaluation planning process.
- Help to manage school resources.
- Devise, implement and monitor action plans and other policy developments.
- Keep the aspirations of the school at the fore when working with staff and be vocal in promoting this vision.
- Lead by example to motivate and work with others.
- Lead by example when implementing and managing change initiatives.
- Promote a culture of inclusion within the school community where all views are valued and taken into account.
Leading teaching and learning
- Be an excellent role model, exemplifying a high standard of teaching and promoting high expectations for all members of the school community.
- Work with the Head Teacher to raise standards through staff appraisal.
- Lead with the Deputy Head for Inclusion, the development and delivery of training and support for staff.
- Share responsibility for the analysis of key school performance data to ensure improvement in standards is promoted.
- Hep to lead the development and review of all aspects of the curriculum including planning, recording and reporting, assessment for learning and the development of a creative and appropriate curriculum for all pupils.
- Work in partnership with the Head Teacher in managing the school through strategic planning and the formulation of policy and delivery of strategy, ensuring management decisions are implemented.
- With the Head Teacher, lead the processes involved in monitoring, evaluating and challenging the quality of teaching and learning taking place throughout the school, including lessons observations to ensure consistency and quality.
- Ensure the systematic teaching of basic key skills and recording of impact is consistently high across the school.
- Develop, review systems to ensure robust evaluation of school performance, progress data and actions to secure improvements comparable to appropriate national standards.
- Ensure through leading by example the active involvement of pupils and staff in their own learning.
- Ensure a culture and ethos of challenge and support where all pupils can achieve and become engaged in their own learning.
Developing self and others
- Support the development of collaborative approaches to learning within the school and beyond.
- Organise and support with the Deputy Head Teacher for Inclusion, the induction of staff new to the school and those being trained within the school.
- Act as an induction co-ordinator for NQTs and have responsibility for students on teaching practice and those undertaking work experience, as appropriate.
- Participate alongside the Deputy Head Teacher for inclusion, as required in the selection and appointment of teaching and support staff, including overseeing the work of supply staff / trainees / volunteers in the school in the absence of the Head Teacher.
- Be an excellent role model for staff and pupils in terms of being reflective and demonstrating a desire to improve and learn.
- Take responsibility and accountability for identified areas of leadership, including statistical analysis of pupil groups, progress data and target setting.
- Work with the Head Teacher and SLT to deliver an appropriate programme of professional development for all staff including quality coaching and mentoring, in line with the school improvement plan and performance management.
- Work with the Head Teacher and SLT with the annual appraisal process for teaching staff
- Develop the role of subject leaders through a system of monitoring and developing skills.
Managing the organisation
- Lead regular reviews of all systems to ensure statutory requirements are being met and improved on where appropriate.
- Ensure the effective dissemination of information, the maintenance of and ongoing improvements to agreed systems for internal communication.
- Undertake key activities related to professional, personnel / HR issues.
- Work with the Administration and Senior Leadership Team of the school to help manage HR and other leadership processes as appropriate e.g. sickness absence, disciplinary, capability.
- Ensure a consistent approach to standards of behaviour, attendance and punctuality are implemented across the school.
- Be a proactive and effective member of the senior leadership team.
- Ensure the day-to-day effective organisation and running of the school including the deployment of staff as appropriate.
- To undertake any professional duties, reasonably delegated by the Head Teacher which will include activities outside of school normal working hours
Improve the teaching and professional skills of colleagues in a manner that has a positive impact on pupil achievement and progress
- Work alongside colleagues in the classroom
- Motivate and inspire
- Work with groups and individuals to offer individual and collective support working under the challenges of teaching today.
- Ensure quality of opportunity in all activities
- Challenge underperformance and support colleagues to develop and improve practice
- Help to lead and support the staff and governing body in fulfilling their responsibilities with regard to the school’s performance and standards
- Support the Head Teacher and SLT in reporting the school’s performance to its community and partners
- Promote and protect the health and safety welfare of pupils and staff
- Working alongside the Deputy Head for Inclusion support the promotion and safeguarding of the welfare of children and young people within the school
- Work with the Head Teacher and SLT in developing the policies and practice, which promote inclusion, equality and the extended services that the school offers
- Help to develop and maintain contact with all specialist support services as appropriate
- Help to promote the positive involvement of parents/carers in school life
- Help to organise and conduct meetings where appropriate with parents and carers to ensure positive outcomes for all parties
- Help to strengthen partnership and community working
- Help to promote positive relationships and work with colleagues in other schools and external agencies
Apply for Deputy Head Teacher(Teaching and Learning)
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly